China is the model, turned actress, turned presenter of the art based reality television show, Work of Art – with a family whose influential history in New York saw her grow up around the likes of Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat. Miami Art Basel begins this week, and China is a regular fashion fixture down amongst the artist and gallery owners – making her mark in outfits she calls “Wearable Art”.
Included in Karl Lagerfeld’s infamous, Little Black Jacket show earlier this year as a crying clown doll, China is know for her fashion sense that is bold, fun and favors sculptural embellishment over minimalism. Her striking looks are framed by her modern graphic style – she favors high fashion, avant-garde looks ranging from vintage Alaïa, Comme Des Garçon, Rodarte, Jeremy Scott – and when she takes a tone back, she loves a shade of black or white with a serious amount of skin showing.
1. Shake Down – Shearling, fur, fold and all textures tassel-tastic – these are China’s textures of choice. Fun and outrageous like this Lanvin jacket!
2. Natural Instincts – One item needs to keep the tone down when wearing a bold look – China favors an oversized clutch, and neutral snake skins.
3. Art Attack! – Pop art and paint splash prints on pin-up worthy pumps? Check!
4. Shades not tones – Bold in black and white, China favors sharp cuts and clean luxe lines when cutting out the color.
5. Pump up The Volume – Her tiny frame can handle some volume, and her sense of fun is the perfect accessory.