THE LOOK PFW EDITION: CARINE ROITFELD
It’s true – The Look went on a little hiatus while Fashion Week invaded the streets of New York. I tucked my humble head and weaved through the throng, otherwise unaffected. My burger intake remained the same and my sleep was undisturbed. Why did I not participate in the festivities? Why did I not salivate over Tommy Ton’s daily pictures capturing it all? I’m disenchanted, you see, especially with the outfit turnout for these shindigs. The super fashion fans, the power editors, and the cute baby bloggers have turned this sacred week into a fashion circus. When did wearing everything you’ve bought in the last year become the definition of style? And extra points for clashing colors and prints AND neon? Overkill! These sartorial shenanigans have given me my last headache. I. Can’t.
But now, the fashion week monster has glided through London and into Paris, the city of light, of romance, of pomme frites (not that anyone is eating them.) And Carine Roitfeld…I’ll bite. With her new magazine CR Fashion Book debuting this month and an upcoming collaboration with MAC Cosmetics soon to roll out, the former editor of Vogue Paris is even more omnipresent these days. Anyone this popular, this ubiquitous, usually leaves me cold with suspicion and disdain. But while Anna Wintour’s pointy-toe boots bug me (those aren’t cool anymore, Anna, and they haven’t been for a long, long time), Carine captivates with her penchant for python, leather, and lace. Carine shows us that, after a certain age, one can still do snakeskin in tasteful doses. She answers the question of how to be a mother and a fashion icon and a hardcore businesswoman while still oozing earthy sex appeal. So cool. So French. I can’t wait to see what she wears next.
- VALENTINO Lace-paneled Leather Dress: Dream item! Study this dress. Learn it. Then, go find a good knockoff and unleash yourself on the world.
- Carnal Flower Hair Mist: Hair perfume is the new…regular perfume? This seems to me the ultimate decadence, and is on my list before rent and other basic necessities I need to survive. I’d like to think that Carine would approve of such frivolity. Oh, and. It. Smells. Amazing.
- Smythson Notebook: Every editor needs a chic little notebook to jot down whatever genius must spill forth from the front row. Just as a heel is to Louboutin, notebook is to Smythson. They come in a hundred different cheeky variations, and I imagine that Carine would inject some color here, oh so secretly.
- Tom Ford Quad Golden Mink Eyeshadow: Roitfeld’s signature smoky-eye is set apart in that she doesn’t use the expected black kohl. Layered shimmery browns give her a rock ‘n’ roll look that is more iridescent than heavy. Tom Ford’s makeup is beautiful, and after all, he is Carine’s bestie!
- Louboutin Lipsinka Python Pumps: Carine famously said “Always wear high heels. They give you power.” She wasn’t kidding, and these python pumps are no joke either. You could wear these with a jean and t-shirt and still be the sexiest woman in the room. Also worth noting is the power of a textured neutral shoe. Behold! Interest and versatility.
— Posted by GrandLife Hotels , September 28, 2012