THE LOOK: MARGE SHERWOOD
Based on a novel of the same name written by Patricia Highsmith in the late fifties, The Talented Mr. Ripley is pure sartorial splendor. That being said, I’ve always had a particular weak spot for Gwyneth Paltrow’s WASP-y ways, both on and off-screen. She just oozes classic American style. As an old-money debutante abroad in Italy, her character Marge Sherwood particularly shines in this creepy psychological thriller. While evil escalates around her, she swans around in darling, casual American resortwear with a romantic European twist. Costume designers Ann Roth and Gary Rogers put her in sweet little white blouses flirtily tied-up, paired with full skirts and espadrilles. Of course they were channeling Grace Kelly, the iciest blond of them all in To Catch a Thief – but that’s another story and another look.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Finch Print Halter Bikini $123 Bergdorfs - More tropical, less Hamptons, but the retro-cut of this bikini certainly fits the bill. And it’s on saaaale. Actually all of these items are, that’s the beauty of shopping in the dog days of summer I guess.
- Selima Sun Sophia Sunglasses $79 J.Crew Located in Soho the eyewear boutique Selima Optique has long been a source for cool and unusual sunnies, so it’s cool that they collaborated with J. Crew to make these cat-eyes. I love how the shape isn’t as trendy as recent takes on this old-school style.
- Marysol Aix Carryall Tote $109 Marysol - This woven tote is actually made by a really cool company, read about them on their website. But to truly channel Marge, your summer straw bag should be picked up on a whim in a market in Portofino. Use it to carry organic, seasonal vegetables that would make Goop Gwyneth proud.
- J. Crew Sardinia Wedge Espadrilles $39 J. Crew - J. Crew is THE source for WASP-y prep. I scoured the internet looking for espadrilles, and found many a hideous variation. These are classic with the ankle-tie and low wedge. Bonus points for stripes!
- The Greyhound. This drink couldn’t be any simpler, and that’s why we love it – Two parts vodka, Five parts grapefruit juice, liberal ice, and a fat wedge of Grapefruit. Add a sprig of mint if you want to get frisky.
— Posted by GrandLife Hotels , July 31, 2012
ann roth, bikini, gary rogers, grace kelly, greyhound, gwyneth paltrow, Italy, J. Crew, Kirna Zabete, Lauren Powell, Marc Jacobs, marge sherwood, style, summer, summer look, talented mr ripley, the look, to catch a thief, tom ripley, wasp