THE LOOK: MARGE SHERWOOD
Based on a novel of the same name written by Patricia Highsmith in the late fifties, The Talented Mr. Ripley is pure sartorial splendor. That being said, I’ve always had a particular weak spot for Gwyneth Paltrow’s WASP-y ways, both on and off-screen. She just oozes classic American style. As an old-money debutante abroad in Italy, her character Marge Sherwood particularly shines in this creepy psychological thriller. While evil escalates around her, she swans around in darling, casual American resortwear with a romantic European twist. Costume designers Ann Roth and Gary Rogers put her in sweet little white blouses flirtily tied-up, paired with full skirts and espadrilles. Of course they were channeling Grace Kelly, the iciest blond of them all in To Catch a Thief – but that’s another story and another look.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Finch Print Halter Bikini $123 Bergdorfs - More tropical, less Hamptons, but the retro-cut of this bikini certainly fits the bill. And it’s on saaaale. Actually all of these items are, that’s the beauty of shopping in the dog days of summer I guess.
- Selima Sun Sophia Sunglasses $79 J.Crew Located in Soho the eyewear boutique Selima Optique has long been a source for cool and unusual sunnies, so it’s cool that they collaborated with J. Crew to make these cat-eyes. I love how the shape isn’t as trendy as recent takes on this old-school style.
- Marysol Aix Carryall Tote $109 Marysol - This woven tote is actually made by a really cool company, read about them on their website. But to truly channel Marge, your summer straw bag should be picked up on a whim in a market in Portofino. Use it to carry organic, seasonal vegetables that would make Goop Gwyneth proud.
- J. Crew Sardinia Wedge Espadrilles $39 J. Crew - J. Crew is THE source for WASP-y prep. I scoured the internet looking for espadrilles, and found many a hideous variation. These are classic with the ankle-tie and low wedge. Bonus points for stripes!
- The Greyhound. This drink couldn’t be any simpler, and that’s why we love it – Two parts vodka, Five parts grapefruit juice, liberal ice, and a fat wedge of Grapefruit. Add a sprig of mint if you want to get frisky.
— Posted by GrandLife Hotels , July 31, 2012