GRANDFASHION: WEEK OF AUGUST 27TH
- Glamour editor-in-chief Cindi Leive landed a big get: a sit-down interview with President Barack Obama. The Obama campaign has been reaching out to tabloid and entertainment media — a campaign spokesperson recently said People magazine was“equally important” to major dailies and hard-news-driven political media — and granting an interview to a women’s magazine is of a piece with that. Leive reportedly asked Obama about women’s health. The interview will run in the October issue.
- Katie Holmes’ New York fashion week debut — the actress is showing the fashion line she designs with stylist Jeanne Yang, Holmes & Yang — is getting plenty of attention. Thanks to the crowded fashion calendar, Holmes & Yang’s small Lincoln Center presentation is up against the Michael Kors show.
- Carine Roitfeld released a video teaser for her new magazine, CR Fashion Book, which comes out on September 13. It shows the former editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris getting treated like a celebrity at fashion shows and some sneak peeks at CR Fashion Book editorial shoots.
- In an interview with the Telegraph, Roitfeld had this to say about Anna Wintour: “She’s tough but she’s very honest. I like that. When my kids came to New York she invited them to dinner and as a mum those are things you don’t forget. She is not my best friend, we never talk on the phone every day, but she is someone I respect, and the older you get in this business the fewer people you respect.”
- A very naked Nicole Kidman is on this month’s cover of V.
- And Linda Evangelista’s cover of Spanish Vanity Fair promises the inside track on the supermodel’s recent custody and child-support battle with luxury executive François-Henri Pinault. Pinault — who is now married to Salma Hayek — fathered an unacknowledged son with Evangelista in 2006.
- Newly elected French President François Hollande has stripped disgraced Dior designer John Galliano of his Légion d’honneur. In 2011, Galliano was convicted and fined €6000 for hurling anti-Semitic and racist invective at strangers in a Paris café on two separate occasions. He was later fired by Dior and from his own namesake label.
- Jason Wu will present some lingerie pieces the designer is collaboratingon with La Perla.
- Italian model and Riccardo Tisci muse Mariacarla Boscono appears nude and eight months pregnant in the new issue of LOVE magazine.
- Fashionista has a great interview with Yael Aflalo, the creative director of the cult brand Reformation. Reformation, which sells reworked vintage clothing and designer pieces made from deadstock and surplus fabrics, is about to open a second New York location in SoHo.
- Actress Nicole LaLiberte stars in Christian Siriano’s fall campaign video. Siriano’s Nolita boutique is currently in its soft opening. The official opening party on September 5th comes just before Fashion’s Night Out and New York fashion week.
- Chic ladies Garance Doré, Amanda de Cadenet, and Kate Young were all shot by Patrick Demarchelier for Net-A-Porter’s fall campaign.
- The Rudi Gernreich brand is set to be revived.
- H&M signed a lease on a 57,000 square foot space on 48th Street and Fifth Avenue. What will be the world’s largest H&M store is expected to open sometime next year.
- Lululemon is suing Calvin Klein for allegedly infringing on the yoga apparel company’s patented waistband design.
- Nars’ new Andy Warhol-inspired makeup collection will launch in Sephora stores on October 1. Meanwhile, competitor MAC cosmetics has lined up Azealia Banks to perform at its SoHo store for Fashion’s Night Out on September 6.
- Nicki Minaj’s perfume bottle: discuss.
- An Alexa Chung clothing line is in the works.
- Lanvin invites you to better get to know its fall campaign models — nonprofessionals, all, including an 81-year-old retired dancer and a woman who collects salt and pepper shakers — via this behind-the-scenes video. And Lanvin creative director Alber Elbaz took the time to share his thoughts on beauty with WSJ. magazine: “It seems as though every time you want to be a modernist you have to make something a little bit ugly. And if you make it really ugly then it’s really modern and really cool. But beauty is never démodé. Beauty is the one thing I think everyone is seeking. That’s it—to touch beautiful things, to make women feel beautiful. And this is power, you know, to feel beautiful.”
— Posted by GrandLife Hotels , August 28, 2012
Alexa Chung, amanda de cadenet, Anna Wintour, AZEALIA BANKS, barack obama, Calven klein, carine roitfeld, Christian Siriano, cindi leive, francois hollande, Garance Doré, Glamour, holmes yang, jason wu, Jenna Sauers, john galliano, kate young, Katie Holmes, Lanvin, Lulemon, mariacarla boscono, nars, Nicki Minaj, nicole kidman, nicole laliberte, president, riccardo tisci, rudi gernreichh, telegraph, Vanity Fair, Vogue, yael aflalo