Now that Alexander Wang has fully taken the reins at Balenciaga, the famed fashion house founded by Cristobal Balenciaga in 1919, the metamorphosis seems to be complete with the reopening of the brand’s downtown womenswear and menswear retail locations in Soho. Wang, who was named creative director at the end of 2012, collaborated with his longtime friend Ryan Korban on the concept and design of the stores, located across the street from one another, with womenwear at number 148 and menswear at number 149 on Mercer. The dark green marble is a reflection of Wang’s Fall 2013 Balenciaga ready-to-wear collection, a motif first seen throughout the looks on the runway, and now seen on virtually every surface within the store – including the collection again, which is now available for purchase for Balenciaga and Wang devotees alike.
The timing of Wang’s start at the brand and the revamp of the retail spaces is eerily serendipitous – the previous Balenciaga boutique, located on West 22nd Street in Chelsea, was completely flooded by Hurricane Sandy, which hit NYC just a few weeks before Wang’s position was announced.
– Sam Todd